Best Sewing Machine for Quilting and Embroidery
“Some links may be affiliate links. We may get paid if you buy something or take an action after clicking one of these”
For decades, people have had access to sewing machines. Over that last 20 years or so, there have been a lot of great advancements in the field, and that means there is more you can do with these machines. No matter whether you are a hobbyist or a professional, there is a model for you.
Choosing the right one can be a challenge because of all the options available to you. So, to help you find the right option, we pulled together a list of some of the best sewing machines for quilting and embroidery. Let’s get started, shall we?
- 1 Brother SE1900 Sewing Embroidery
- 2 Pros
- 3 Cons
- 4 Janome MC-6300P Professional Heavy-Duty Computerized Quilting Sewing Machine w/Extension Table
- 5 Pros
- 6 Cons
- 7 JUKI HZL-F300 Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 8 Pros
- 9 Cons
- 10 SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
- 11 Pros
- 12 Cons
- 13 Conclusion
Brother SE1900 Sewing Embroidery
- 138 Built-in designs: The SE1900 comes with 138 Built-in designs and 11 embroidery fonts perfect for monogramming
- 240 Built-in sewing stitches: The SE1900 features 240 Built-in sewing stitches including 10 styles of auto-size buttonholes
- Large color touchscreen: Preview your designs and browse editing options on the large full color, 3.2" inch LCD touchscreen...
- 5" X 7" Embroidery field: This Brother combo embroidery and sewing machine is built with a 5" x 7" Embroidery field for...
- Advanced needle threader and drop-in top bobbin: This sewing and quilting combo machine includes an advanced needle threading...
The Brother SE1900 is a professional-quality sewing machine that is perfect for machine embroidery and quilting. The large, 5×7 inch embroidery field and color LCD touchscreen let you create, modify, and make a huge range of embroidery designs. The big work area and drop feed capability are also great for quilters who need room to manage big projects. And it’s also a great sewing machine for ordinary sewing projects, with the versatility and durability to handle nearly anything.
The Brother SE1900 is a sewing and embroidery machine capable of the biggest, most complex sewing, quilting, and embroidery projects, but is easy enough for a beginner to use. It has 240 built-in stitches and 138 built-in embroidery designs, along with 7 included fonts and 10 different buttonholes. The large, 5×7 inch embroidery area lets you create more complex designs, while the automatic needle threader and feed thread cutter makes it incredibly easy to change thread colors.
Seven feed dog points feed all kinds of fabric smoothly, and you can easily set needle position up or down, adjust stitch length up to 5mm or stitch width to 7mm. It also has a knee lifter to control the presser foot without using your hands. It has adjustable presser foot pressure, automatic presser foot leveling, and is capable of speeds up to 850 stitches per minute.
The LCD screen on the Brother SE1900 is a 3×1.6 inch color LCD, so you can easily navigate menus and customize your designs. The onboard computer is multilingual and has a screensaver to prolong the life of the machine.
You can use the screen to perform layouts before executing your designs, adjust size, color, and placement of designs with simple drag-and-drop, and store your custom stitches in memory. The sewing machine has a USB port so you can also create and edit your own embroidery designs and transfer them to the machine.
The Brother SE1900 comes with an embroidery hoop and with a zigzag foot, a blind stitch foot, a zipper foot, a buttonhole foot, a button sewing foot, an overcasting foot, and a monogramming
foot. It is backed by a 25-year warranty, and free phone and online support for the life of the machine.
- · Versatile embroidery/sewing/quilting machine
- · Huge library of stitches and designs with customization
- · Large embroidery area
- · Drop feed for free motion quilting
- · Onboard memory and storage for preferred stitches and custom designs
- · Large, brightly lit work area
- · Big color touchscreen for easy previews and navigation
- · Automatic threading and quick-set bobbin
- · Easy to use
- · Excellent warranty and support
- · Expensive
- · May have a learning curve for people who aren’t used to computerized sewing machines
- · Quilters may want to add an extension table accessory
- 66 Built In Stitches
- Large Sewing Bed and Throat for Larger Quilts
- Sews 1000 stitches per minute
- 9" x 5" Sewing Bed Space
- Automatic thread cutter, with memory capability
The Janome MC-6300P is a professional-grade sewing machine designed for years of sewing on light or heavy fabrics, large quilting and home décor projects, and even delicate decorative stitches. It has a ton of convenient time-saving features designed to suit the preferences of experienced sewers.
The Janome MC-6300P is a fantastic choice for quilters, with a large 9×5 throat and drop feed control for free motion with the 5-piece feed dog. The LCD screen is easy to use and navigate, along with the stitch guide printed on the machine. It has a vertical thread bar optimized for decorative stitching with twin needles.
It has 66 built-in stitches, with adjustments ranging from 5mm maximum stitch length and 7mm maximum stitch width, with individual and combination stitch editing. It also has 4 one-step buttonholes and a locking stitch button.
The machine is capable of 1,000 stitches per minute, and is loaded with time-savers like a knee lift for the presser foot, last stitch recall, memorized needle up/down position and 5 memory banks. Automatic tension control, automatic thread cutting, and a low bobbin indicator light will also save you time when sewing.
It easily manages thick fabrics with adjustable presser foot pressure and an extra high presser foot lift. Although this machine is optimized for quilting rather than embroidery, the stitch library can easily be modified to produce many decorative and applique stitches.
The Janome MC-6300P comes with an accessory kit with needles, bobbins, a seam ripper, screwdrivers, spool holders, and more. It also comes with a 1/4” seam foot, a blind hem foot, an open toe foot, a satin stitch foot, a zipper foot, a 3-way cording foot, an open toe satin stitch foot, two buttonhole feet, a darning foot, a zig zag foot, and an overedge foot.
- · High-quality professional machine for years of use
- · Extremely versatile machine
- · Large throat and work area for quilting
- · Able to handle thin and thick fabrics
- · Knee lift
- · Drop feed
- · Easy to use
- · Lots of automatic features
- · Good memory for use and preferences
- · Comes with wide range of accessories
- · Fast machine capable of 1,000 SPM
- · Small number of stitches for a machine in this class
- · Not optimized for embroidery
- JUKI full size Exceed series machine for sewing and quilting
- 106 stitch patterns 3 fonts for versatility and simplified use with free arm
- 16 Automatic electronic sensor controlled buttonholes included
- Automatic one touch needle threader and automatic thread cutting
- Wide extension table optionally available
The Juki HZL-F300 is a full-featured sewing and quilting machine with a lot of embroidery features, and so many ways to make your sewing more efficient and convenient. You can easily program needle position, store patterns and stitches, customize automatic thread trimming, change volume settings, and even access a built-in guide for expert advice on what presser foot or settings to use for your stitch selection. It’s the flagship sewing machine in Juki’s Exceed series, and there’s a lot to love.
The Juki HZL-F300 has the ability to place the needle anywhere you want, and to move the position of a pattern without changing the width, so you can create amazing decorative and applique effects like tapered stitches to the left or right.
It has 106 built-in stitches, 3 fonts, and 16 buttonholes, along with special features like the ability to change the cutting width of a buttonhole without changing the stitch size, and stitches designed especially for hand-look or crazy quilting.
The 7 point feed dog system can be dropped with a switch for free-motion quilting or freehand embroidery. It has an automatic needle threader, a quick-thread bobbin and independent bobbin winder, and an advanced thread trimming system that allows you to trim threads with a button, by the press of the foot lever, or by programming thread trims ahead of time.
Speaking of programming, you can access the 10 most popular sewing stitches with the press of a button, program your own patterns or pattern sequences, combine decorative stitches, and save up to 70 patterns and sequences in memory to use over and over. It has an LED-lit work area, twin needle capability, free arm capability, and a maximum speed of 900 stitches per minute.
The Juki HZL-F300 comes with a hard case, four bobbins, spool caps, a screwdriver, a seam ripper, a needle set, and a cleaning brush. It also comes with an overcasting foot, a blind stitch foot, two buttonhole feet, and a zipper foot. The warranty covers 5 years for mechanical defects, and 2 years for electronic defects.
- · Incredibly versatile machine for sewing, quilting, and embroidery
- · Great range of ways to customize stitches, patterns, and settings
- · Unique features like precise needle placement without affecting pattern, customization of buttonhole width without altering the stitch, and customization of automatic thread cutting
- · Big onboard memory for your stitches and patterns
- · Drop feed for free motion
- · Built-in sewing guide with recommendations
- · Affordable price for a machine with all these features
Specialized quilting and embroidery feet, along with an extension table, are additional purchases. Juki does offer a wide range of accessories for this machine, including an extension table, knee lifter, and a huge range of feet.
- SINGER COMPUTERIZED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 portable sewing machine has loads of ease-of-use features...
- AUTOMATIC NEEDLE THREADER: Threading the machine is so easy that you can have the entire machine threaded, from the spool to...
- BEST SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has 600 Built-In Stitches including 5 Alphanumeric Fonts...
- HIGH-SPEED SEWING MACHINE: The SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 sewing machine has a maximum sewing speed of 850...
- SEWING MACHINE ACCESSORIES: A variety of presser feet are included with the sewing machine: All-Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot,...
The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 is an affordable sewing, quilting, and embroidery machine that is loaded with features and has a full online lesson library to let you take advantage of every one of them. It’s intuitive enough for beginners, but with all the capabilities that advanced sewers need, and comes with $300 worth of accessories including a whopping 19 presser feet.
The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 is a great machine for quilters, with an included extension table, a heavy-duty metal frame, and an extra-high presser foot lift that makes it easier to manage bulky projects and fabrics. You can drop the feed dogs for free-motion quilting and embroidery. It has a huge library of 600 stitches, 5 alphabets, and 13 one-step buttonholes.
You can combine stitches and lettering, and modify stitches by elongating or mirroring them for decorative patterns. It has a drop-in bobbin, automatic needle threader, and one-button thread cutting or automatic tie-off to save time. It has programmable needle up/down, along with twin needle capability and variable needle positions.
You can remove the extension table and slide off the storage compartment for a free arm work area perfect for sleeves and cuffs. The machine has a maximum speed of 850 stitches per minute, but you can also set the speed control for consistency and control.
The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 comes with an extension table, needles, bobbins, a seam ripper, a lint brush, spool pins and caps, a screwdriver, a quilting bar, a seam guide, a clearance plate, and a shank for presser feet.
It also comes with a zipper foot, a button foot, a satin stitch foot, a buttonhole foot, an open toe foot, a blind hem foot, an overcasting foot, a narrow hem foot, two cording feet, a straight stitch foot, a darning & freehand embroidery foot, a walking foot, a bias foot, a braiding foot, a piping foot, a fancy trim foot, and a stitch in the ditch foot. It is backed by a 25-year warranty.
- · Huge library of stitches and options for customizing and even mirroring them
- · Comes with enormous accessory package
- · Optional extension table, standard work area, or free arm
- · Automatic needle threader, thread cutting, and tie-off
- · Speed control
- · Extra-high presser foot lift
- · Drop feed for free motion quilting and embroidery
- · Online classes
- · Excellent warranty
- · Presser foot pressure is not manually adjustable
- · The Singer Quantum Stylist 9960 has an innovate box feed motion that feeds fabric in a straight line, rather than the arc of some machines. In most cases, this is a pro, since it reduces the need to rely on walking feet for some projects. However, some experienced quilters take a little time to adjust to this unusual feed system.
The truth is, a single sewing machine that can handle complex quilting and complex embroidery designs equally well is nearly impossible to find; most sewing machines are better at one than the other. If you need peak performance in both functions, it’s a better idea to purchase two specialty machines.
However, every sewing machine on this list has a lot to offer in either capacity, even if it’s not fully optimized. Our top pick for a dual purpose quilting and embroidery sewing machine is the Juki HZL-F300. It has a lot of great computerized features, including the ability to store a wide range of patterns, options, and preferences to save you time.
Unlike many computerized machines, it allows you more freedom to change some stitch parameters without affecting others, and has a built-in guide to help you get the best results. It’s great to have automatic needle threading and so many ways to automatically cut thread.
While advanced users will want some accessories that aren’t included with this machine, it’s also a reasonable price for such a high quality sewing machine, so adding a few upgrades isn’t cost-prohibitive. It’s the best of both worlds.
Thanks for stopping by and checking out our article on the best sewing machine for quilting and embroidery!!
Last update on 2020-08-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Categorised in: Uncategorized