How To Use A Sewing Machine-For Beginners
So you finally realized that sewing is the right hobby for you and you purchased a sewing machine. After reading through the owners manual, you may still need a little help on how to get started with your sewing machine. Although all sewing machines aren’t the same, here is a basic tutorial on how to use a sewing machine.
- First of all, make sure that you have all of your sewing supplies in front of you such as needles, thread and fabrics to practice on.
- Next, you need to make sure you have a comfortable chair that is the right height for sewing. Also, make sure that you have sufficient lighting to see and not have to strain your eyes
- The correct positioning of the sewing machine is to have the needle side of the machine to your left and the body side to your right.
- With the sewing machine off and unplugged, make sure that the needle is inserted, the presser foot lever is installed and the bobbin is loaded. Your instruction manual or instruction DVD should be able to help you with this.
- Next, thread the top spool. To do this, you need to pull the thread from the spool leftwards, allow it to pass downwards against the needle guide, and then downwards again into a hook and through the needle.
- After it passes through the needle, hold up the end of the thread. With the thread in your left hand, pull the hand wheel one full turn towards you.
- Hook up the bobbin thread from between the presser foot lever and the plate with a pair of scissors.
- You will now have 2 ends of thread. Pull on both so they won’t go back through and you have to do this all over again!!
- Plug in the machine
- Take a piece of fabric. Make sure this is a piece of fabric to practice on.
- Set the machine to straight stitches and medium stitches. Your owner’s manual or DVD can help you with this.
- Turn the hand wheel so the needle is at it’s highest position.
- Take you piece of practice fabric and fold it in 2. Lift the presser foot lever up and put the fabric into the plate. Make sure the fabric is lengthwise.
- Bring down the foot lever.
- Hold the ends of both pieces of thread with your right hand.
- Your left hand guides the fabric
- Start the machine going by pressing on the foot pedal gently.
- That’s all there is to it.
After you practice the straight stitches for a while, you can try small projects like making a pillow case. Good luck on your sewing adventure!!!!
If you are still a little confused on how to use your sewing machine, please refer back to your instruction manual or instruction DVD.
Thanks again for stopping by our site!!
Categorised in: How To